Universal Thumb Drift (Looking for BETA drivers)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SMG Studio, Sep 4, 2015.

1. SMG Studio

SMG Studio Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Sorry guys we've been heads down preparing for PAX Australia. The release may be pushed back to Dec or even Jan now as we want to make sure it's all rock solid before we release.

New BETA coming in < 2 weeks. It'll be pretty close we removed the two game modes and just going with the one (that speeds up to what we called "insane")

Here's a preview of some of the cars we have lined up. We expect there to be 2-3 color variant per car plus another 10 or so new models to come.

[​IMG]

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Almost 2 weeks now still no sign of beta. Sorry if im being impatient. I love this game too much and cant wait to keep playing. :D

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Ya know, if you wanted to sneak in a Mach 5, I wouldn't tell.

4. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I'm really interested in a new beta as well!

5. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    New beta is out. Cant wait to finish downloading. ;)

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Well, it's awesome. The new merged mode's speed felt something in between the 2 old modes. Not really sure if it's significantly slower than the old practice mode, but im sure it is definitely a lot slower than the insane mode of old.

The new coin line locations arent helping me much since i dont usually drift on the correct paths in the road, but for a twitch game i like how they are just there so i get them when i do. I like to just keep playg the game as a twitch type drift game, so i dont usually aim for the coins anyway.

I do have a suggestion though, what if the coins, instead of being in lines at certain sides of the road, are layed out across the street instead? For example, 3 or 4 coins long only, but is 6 coins wide (assuming that is the width of the road in Forest). The player can focus on drifting instead of picking up coins, and depending on their angle, are guaranteed 3 coins as long as they stay on the road. The downside to this is that it removes the sense of actively collecting coins since the coin collection becomes passive coz the active focus will be on the road. As itis now though, it's not bad at all.

A few other thoughts (possible bugs):

The F1.... It's just a flat image on the floor. Intentional? It has been that way in the old version, and seems it is like that on your teaser screenshot as well.

The second buggy (black and red polka dots, ladybug) isnt unlockable for me. It's the only car i dont have unlocked, yet the option to bu a random car is not showing for me.

It feels as if there is significantly less drift smoke behind the car. Was that reduced? Coz i personally think the smoke needs to be a bit more visible than it currently is.

In its current state though, i am confident this will not leave my device when it releases.

7. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    Possible bug report:

Played last night on my iPhone, pulled a random car with coins and a free car - one of them was the Ladybug and the other I can't remember. Played for a little more and the next time I enter the car selection I see a lot of cars unlocked - everything up to the Hellcat, Maxi Trooper, R Series Radiant, Subzero WRECKX, Treaded and Dune Buggy.

Tried to reproduce the issue on my iPad mini just now. After a fresh install I did just a few runs with the Turbo Bee on the gymkhana track, when I get to the car selection screen, bam! All those cars (except for the Ladybug) unlocked, plus the iScream.

Also, I didn't get the tutorial on my first play in any of the devices. On my iPhone it appeared today, when I opened the game for the second time.

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I remember a bug like that back on the first version, i thought it was already fixed. That's one of the crucial things that need to be fixed because the game's goal outside of high score is to collect those cars.

9. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
    Thanks guys we're still working through bugs and building cars and tracks.
    Thanks for reporting these we thought that was fixed

New build by the end of the week with a new track (Ice/Snow) and more polish.

Re smoke: this is the biggest killer on CPU right now so hopeful we can optimise to make it more awesome.

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Is the F1 car intentionally flat on the ground? Coz it looks real ugly. This has been like this since the first version and i thought someone already asked. Even on the screenshot above it's just flat 2D graphic on the floor.

11. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    Enjoying the new build, just sent in my feedback form!

I like the new details in the gymkhana and forest tracks! :)

I think it's supposed to mimic old 8-bit games like this:

[​IMG]

12. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
    Quick update: Release date now likely to be End of Jan first week of Feb. Just timing wise submitting over xmas doesnt really help anyone

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Graargh... Sorry wasnt able to test the latest build. Anyways, im sure the game has improved to how you guys want it. I already love the game since the first iteration of beta, and would easily suggest the game to anyone who likes twitch type brutal arcade titles. Good luck on the release!

14. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
    [​IMG]

Livery update. Closing in on the Feb 12 release date. If you're on the BETA test we'll be submitting an update today.

Attached Files:

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Wow that's a lot of cars now!

16. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
    New and pretty much final build waiting for review in Testflight.

Release date looking like Feb 18 now. Test flight users let us know what you think.

17. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
    Final build will be in itunes connect on Monday. We found some little issues and had an Apple rejection on a feature but we're so close you can smell the burning rubber.

18. Pehel

Pehel Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Video Game Creator
    Paris area (in France, you know, Cheese and wine .
    Do you have a full list of the cars ?

Then maybe people could help you to find other cars to implement :)

19. SMG Studio

Mar 9, 2014
    Full list below. Note: All unlicensed so they are "similar"

We'll be taking requests once we launch. We already have another 37 planned for updates

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT
    Pixel
    70s police car
    2014 Eagle Speedster Passenger
    Voxel
    VW Beetle
    Mad Max v8 Interceptor
    R Series Valiant
    Acura NSX
    Mitsubishi EVO
    Audi-R8
    Icecream Van
    Delorean
    Yellow Taxi
    Tank
    Subaru WRX
    Corolla AE86 Trueno
    Armoured Vehicle
    VW Dune Buggy
    Skyline 2000 GTR Kenmeri
    Austin Mini Cooper
    2014 Eagle Speedster Passenger
    Bond Lotus
    Nissan S13/ 180SX
    Justin Fox R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/03/car_feature_gt_gt_justin_fox_s_r32_gt_r/
    Datsun 1200 (Blown V8) Ute (Shock Mansion)
    Holden Commodore VL (Domestic Mango)
    First Gen Mazda MX5 - car throttle
    Bulletproof Automotive BMW Z4 GT Continuum http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/11/05/173931/
    Norbert Kovacik's BMW m6 (King of Nations)
    1991 Mazda Rx7 FC (Street Driven)
    Yasid Design Custom DAYTONA Hemi
    Drift Allstars Honda S2000

20. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Can't believe I havent seen this already! It looks EPIC!