Universal Torchlight Mobile (by Runic Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by oscar123967, Jun 12, 2015.

1. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Today is apparently the "official" soft-launch in select regions.
    Although it's been out in taiwan and china since December.
    Not sure when global release is.

I'm still having a blast playing my cannon Engineer tho, but I'm excited to actually know what's going on in English.

2. Robbie1350

Robbie1350 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    What regions?

3. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Obviously not ours....

*Sigh*

4. rittchard

rittchard Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Well after an excruciating time converting from the Taiwan Store to the Chinese one (why do they make it such a pain?), I was able to download the game, and... sorry guys it's pretty much the SAME thing. Yes there are some differences and for this type of game, it seems like it has the potential to be one of the better ones in terms of skills and skill variants. But it is NOT Torchlight in any shape or form aside from some of the character class types and maybe the artwork. Oh yeah, and they "borrowed" the strumming town music from Diablo lol.

Yes there is an energy system in spite of what's been claimed. And it is still the highly instanced, short jaunt type of content where you have arrows to point you in the right direction and you can't move out of a spot until you've killed everything in it. Not as outright obvious as the 2 rooms plus a boss, but more or less the same thing. I don't know why I let my hopes go up, but just another disappointment.

Shame on you, Runic Games. As far as I'm concerned, you still owe your fans a real mobile ARPG ;)

5. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    It's the same thing because you are still playing the Asian version. Taiwan and China are both Asia... some things will be different, like the energy system, etc.

But it is modeled on a mobile RPG style, meant for quick sessions.

And I would argue that it's more like torchlight than you are saying, and these things make it stand out amongst mobile ARPG's.

-For one, like you said, the skill system. Highly customizable and interesting.
    -Weapon styles - each class has a few different (3 I think) types of weapons that drastically alter play style. Also, different weapons provide different ultimate abilities.
    -Random stats on gear.
    -Complex pet system that also grants you a skill based on how you combine pets.
    -Maps that allow you to spawn dungeons for you and your friends.
    -so much more.

There's a lot of Torchlight in there, reimagined for mobile. It's not a port.

6. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    Nope, this isn't Torchlight. It's just another ARPG brawler like those from some Korean and other Asian companies. Move to a room, get locked in until you kill everything in that room, then you can move to the next room, rinse and repeat til you reach a boss. Nope, definitely NOT Torchlight at all, not even close.

7. rittchard

rittchard Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Exactly - it doesn't matter how much dressing you put on top of it, it's still basically the same as any number of other games out there. For example try Rise of Darkness for a recent US release.

The big difference is that they have completely gutted any sense of exploration or discovery. Each "map" (I use the term loosely because it's more like a few adjacent screens) is completely linear, along with arrows to force you along the way in case you happen to shift in a different direction.

I understand that some of these quick-play conventions are nice for the mobile market. But the beauty of TL/Diablo was that they gave you a deep, full world to play in but still maintained the gameplay to allow you to jump in for a few minutes and make progress.

I still have a tiny glimmer of hope that Fedeen may release something different, but I suspect it will just be the same thing.

8. mabus51

mabus51 New Member

Oct 12, 2016
    So is this game dead?

9. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    No, it's out in China we are just waiting for a wider release.

10. Ivica

Ivica Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Any news?

11. jdjleo

jdjleo Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I look around the web once a week or so for news...nothing.

There hasn't been a post on the official FB or forums in over a year and the game is almost a year and a half late.

At this point I'll be surprised if it ever launches in the US.

12. adamlax

adamlax Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Male
    What's happening with this game.

13. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Can anyone translate this for me please?
    IMG_0361.jpg

14. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    I think it's asking you to link the account to your phone. With the Google translate app I get:

"Bind the phone"

"please enter your mobile number"

"next"

15. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Videos of gameplay on YouTube. Voiceovers make me cringe. This is not torchlight. Doesn't look BAD, but ... maybe change the name?

16. TywinTheVile

TywinTheVile Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Yes the voice over work is cringe worthy. The gameplay is fine. Nothing revolutionary and other more recent mmos like lineage 2 and crusaders of light do it better. This doesn't feel like Torchlight to me. I'll play more and see how I feel since I am only level 11.

17. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Oh no have been looking forward to this but if people age 11 are finding aspects cringe worthy, I'll probably just ignore the game. Also noticed a few people saying it should change its name from torchlight.

18. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    It is cringeworthy lol. At the intro, the one on the ship, listen to the raccoon-looking guy. First time made me close the app and I was laughing so hard. On another note, the music is really good though. Sounds like Matt Uelman's work

19. Nivak

Nivak Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Sadly That they Didnt hold thair promise for not adding an stamina system

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup. Enjoyed this quite a bit, but deleted it coz of the stamina system and kept Lineage instead.