Toucharcade Users Game

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by upsidedown, Sep 15, 2009.

1. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    yeah, you can probably help, if we can get a dev. :(

2. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    not gonna be able to do an fps 3d is a lot harder to do than 2d. And I can help with design and stuff too in addition to sound. For effects I'll prob just scrounge the internet for royalty free quality sounds possibly record a couple depends on what but I can also compose/record any music we might need. School is tough right now but I could prob do 2 or 3 decent tracks by christmasish or earlier. Depends on type of music we want too.

3. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    Here is a dilemma you guys might be having:

1. Is this game going to be priced or free?
    2. If priced, then who will profit from the game?
    3. If free, then you are likely not going to find a decent developer to spend their time on such a project.

4. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
  5. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    I don't mean that everyone has to team together to pay a developer. I mean that this is also a business and it takes away from a developer building other games.

I really like how you guys are coming together to collaborate on a game. This is definitely a good thread to watch. Who knows, maybe a dev will come in and help you out in the near future. ;)

6. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Well, I was thinking that the developer would get most of the profits, and if the game does well enough, iTunes gift cards could be given out. But the dev would easily get 80-90% of the profits. It would probably not be free.

7. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    would you help us???Pwease??:eek:

8. spidey146

Aug 14, 2009
    seriously, we REALLY need one, but first have we decided yet what the games gonna be about?

9. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    To be honest, we did have a game such as this in mind, utilizing the line-drawing capabilities of the iDevice for a successful game, such as Flight Control and Harbor Master.

It would be cool to see one of you actually write up a game design document and have an artist do the concept art for a screenshot to get a general idea of the game.

From experience, a game such as this would likely take 6 - 9 weeks in development for the programming aspect.

10. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    We need an artist too!!

11. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Like the one I posted on page two?

12. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    I think having it cost a buck and giving the profits to the developer would be just fine.

Thematically - Upsidedown, how would you feel about instead of a castle-defense type line drawer, we make the same sort of game mechanically, but have the theme be a group of villagers trying to save their village from volcanic lava flows? I think that would feel pretty original and make people more interested.

13. Comassion

May 23, 2009
    Or, heck, change it up - what if you're the volcano God determining the paths the lava is going to take in order to burn the hapless village beneath you?

14. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Interesting concept. If things gel, I would be willing and able to develop the game starting mid/late-October. For payment, I'd propose a 50% split of profits (after Apple's cut), with 50% going to the developer and 50% donated to Touch Arcade (the owners of this website). I like the idea of keeping it a 99 cent game.

I like the idea of having a poll to decide on the exact game to be created. I have not yet seen a specific vision called out.

Let's use this thread to further brainstorm basic gameplay/theme - the ideas can be organized and used to form a poll in a sep. thread.

To kick this off, here's a fairly fleshed out idea:

Name: Touch Gladiators

Concept: player controls a small group (up to 6) of fighters/monsters in real time, to try and win a gang battle against a group of determined enemies.

Theme: could vary widely and be upgraded with updates. Could start with basic gladiator theme, with potential to expand with challenges from robots, undead, wizards, etc.

Game Mechanics:
    - Player's units, if untouched, would stand and turn to face the closest enemy, and only attack if any enemy came into range.
    - Drag line from a player unit to move it.
    - Drag unit to an enemy to engage combat via hand-to-hand attacks.
    - A unit's attack can vary depending on how you approach the enemy. Dash at enemy (fast drag) for a charging attack. Approach enemy from behind to grab them and hold them still. Drag to a prone enemy to attack them while they are down. Attack with multiple units simultaneously to pile on.
    - If one of your units is grabbed, tap on the enemy unit grabbing it to try and fight free.
    - Tap unit, then tap an enemy to execute a long distance attack (i.e. shoot with bow or spit venom).

Basic attacks:
    - melee (approach and smash/bash)
    - grab (render an enemy unit defenseless - useful while ganging up)
    - missle (shoot - straight line attack)
    - lob (throw over other units)

Unit types and stats could vary widely. Some units would be expert grapplers. Others could have long range (attack with spears) but be vulnerable if flanked or grabbed. Others would be super-skilled in one-on-one combat, able to block/dodge/counter, but have problems if ganged up on.

At the end of each round, winnings could be used to gain new recruits, or buy upgrades (armor, weapons).

Would be a natural for bluetooth head-to-head battles.

15. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    :)

Even our executive summaries for game design documents are a full page, with the full document 6 - 12 pages depending on scope of game.

Really flesh out the ideas and it would be interesting to see what happens with that.

16. Comassion

May 23, 2009
    We'll have to wait and see what upsidedown says (since he's de-facto project manager for starting this thread), but this looks great to me!

I very much like your idea of a game as well. The mind flutters with possibilities.

17. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Also, you can add me to the list of the InterFace Builder dude (I'll make all the interfaces/screens)....I'll try but I can't guarantee anything because I've just begun the iPhone SDK

18. spidey146

Aug 14, 2009

19. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks Stroffolini!!
    This is close to my idea on page 2- but you added some cool improvements like archers. But you did miss out on one thing which I think is really cool--traps. Like drawing earthquakes cracks with a line which makes the enemy fall in, or stuff like that.

20. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Yeah, It is a great idea for game, and profits.