Toucharcade Users Game

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by upsidedown, Sep 15, 2009.

1. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Hey guys, Throw out the ideas!

2. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Along with the smiley face username user. He started a different thread.

3. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    We should do a platformer. Not that we should plan our game around music, but I already thought of two good themes for a desert level and an ice level.

4. Touchsmiths

Touchsmiths Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    Richmond, VA
    I am not what you would call an experienced developer or artist but I am willing to help out with this project.

I've only used the cocos2d framework. I have no clue how to work in 3d.

5. taah

taah Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Project Manager
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Pretty new iPhone owner here (got my 3Gs just last week) but already really souped up on iP games/apps while my "next-gen" consoles are all gathering dust.

But from what I've gathered from the 2-3 pages of iP games I have, only a few have any real back stories or plots. True, they should reflect on the type of game they are (Flight Control with a story? Possible, but unlikely. Lux Touch? now we're reaching..), but if you guys feel like you need anyone to dream up a story for your game and make sure it's not cringeworthy, do consider me.

My imagination is top-notch :p

I don't have much in my portfolio in terms of game development, apart from a story I wrote ages ago for an (classic) indiana-type adventure game project that never came into fruition. Unfortunately, that document is lost among the ones and zeroes of the net, so all I can provide as test are either my 6 year old anime fanfics or something completely new.

Btw, I'm pretty new to TA as well; been lurking here for a few days reading reviews of more games to waste money on, so Hi! everyone :)

6. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Hmm, guys, here is what we could do, wait for stroffolini, make two apps one with touchsmiths and one with stroffolini, or make one with touchsmiths, or maybe, im not sure f this would be possible, they could work together on it?

7. Rozzie

Rozzie Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2009
    i'm an artist. let me know if you wanna see my stuff. never worked on anything like this, but it sounds like a fun project,

rozzie

8. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    No no, let's not make two apps. One is going to be hard enough. Focus man!

They can either work together or we just go with one of them. Stroffolino appears to be much more experienced, and there's a lot of merit in having just one dev work on a game, especially a simpler game like what we have in mind (less work to split, no issues with merging code). So while I very much appreciate Touchsmiths' offer, I think we should go with Stroffolino as our developer.

Stroffolino says he's ready to go around mid-late October. That means its time for us to get things ready for the development phase by then, starting by deciding what sort of game we're going to develop. Once we've done that, I can get started on designing the mechanics and our artists can start plugging away at artwork.

I'm all in favor of going with Stroffolino's basic idea - I like the idea of a gladiator game (or other tactical warrior type game). My preference would be to make it turn-based, but maybe that's a question for upsidedown to put to the community in the form of a poll.

9. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Post away! Graphics are the single most important factor in getting users to take interest in a game. The icon and the default screenshot are the user's first (and sometimes only) impressions of a game. You can have all the visibility and fun gameplay in the world, but if the game isn't appealing from these precious first impressions, you'll have a tough time convincing people to download and try it.

10. Touchsmiths

Apr 12, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    Richmond, VA

I completely agree that one developer working on the programming would be most efficient. No offense taken. :)

I still would like to help out, though, since this project sounds pretty cool. I'm experienced in music production (I was a DJ for several years in college) so I could help out with the sound/music. My experience is nothing video-game related (mostly house, hip-hop, electronic, and mash-ups) but I think my skills would translate.

11. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    I know what you mean about the two apps, I was just throwing that out there. And personally I would rather have the game in real time, because with line drawing games it makes it hard to do turn based.

12. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Yeah, we would love to have you help out sitll, we already have someone for music production, but not every music created will be perfect for what we need--with two different types we can pick which one we like best. And you can also help with your game input also.

13. Comassion

May 23, 2009
    Okay, so are we more or less in consensus about doing a gladiator-style real-time line-drawing tactical game along the lines of Stroffino's original idea? If so, I'll start writing up some basic design documents.

Also, if everyone involved in the project could PM me their e-mail address, I'll set up a google group to make communication easy and give us a place to communally store files that our artists / music / developer people come up with.

Along with your e-mail address, include your contributing role related to the project, and list any experience or particular talents you have so we can know what sort of things we can assign you and make best use of your abilities in coordination with the rest of the team. For instance, we'll be selecting the most experienced artist as lead artist, in order to make sure the overall art style of the game is coherent.

As game designer, I'll need to be working closely with our developer regarding what features are going to be included, balancing what we all want with what is feasible to code. (and by all means, everyone keep suggesting features you'd like to see, even if you're not working on the project!).

14. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    hey why am i not in advertisement?

also i can do some basic sprites if you need, maybe some backrounds, small characters or something

15. upsidedown

Jun 10, 2009
    Couldn't we just make agroup here onTA? I think that would be easier.

16. Comassion

May 23, 2009
    The main reason for the google group is that it gives us an easy way to share files with the entire team. A group here on TA would only let us share jpgs, which isn't good enough. We need to pass around all sorts of files.

The other, slightly less important reason is that I'm blocked from toucharcade's main site by site filters while I'm at work (but oddly enough not the forums), but that could change at any time. Google, however, I'll always be able to access (plus I can more easily access my e-mail from the group from my iPhone. :)

17. robertf224

Mar 28, 2009
    What type of game are we def doing so I can think of songs accordingly? I have 4 solid ideas for songs but they're all very different. One would be for like an ice level, one for a desert level, one is kind of like foresty, and one is like electronicish. I'm gonna write the songs and then I'll record them at my friend's house who has all this stuff he has like a mini studio in his bedroom.

18. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    wait, we need a company name like "Gameloft" or "Bolt Creative"

how about something to do with Touch Arcade, like....TA Groupies Inc.

19. robertf224

Mar 28, 2009
    how bout Guys who felt like making a video game (GWFLMAVG)

20. Touchsmiths

Apr 12, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    Richmond, VA
    How about

"TOFTT"

Could be a nice inside-joke for our audience.