iPhone Venice Mystery

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Aug 24, 2010.

1. gamgo

gamgo Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Thanks for posting - but, the bug is in the v1.1 - v1.1.1 udpate has been rolled out to Apple - App in Review - waiting for release today or tomorrow.

Meanwhile, try to avoid the ClockTower - the bug happen when you enter the ClockTower and open the scroll - you can't close it anymore - only on the first scroll. So play all normal levels and not the extra hidden ones. Will post an update on twitter.com/gamgo and facebook.com/gamgo when the v1.1.1 has been released. Thanks and sorry!

2. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    That is great to hear. You could always use a zoom in/zoom out feature on the iPhone version so that it can fit on the smaller screen.

3. AirGear

AirGear Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Wanted to, but it's not available in my region's iTunes Store. I have a US account, but it won't accept my credit card nor PayPal account without a US billing address. Seems the only way is to buy a $15 iTunes gift card from eBay, if I really want to go through that.

How did you buy the game?

4. gamgo

gamgo Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2010
    At the moment Venice Mystery for the iPad is only available in these countries:

Australia Austria Belgium Bulgaria Canada Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany Greece Hungary Ireland Italy Latvia Lithuania Luxembourg Malta, Republic of Netherlands Poland Portugal Romania Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland United Kingdom United States

I hope we can roll out to other countries soon.

5. AirGear

AirGear Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Is there a reason for the limited release? Usually developers release their apps worldwide to maximize sales, unless the content is region specific, but mostly not the case for games.

Anyway, hope it will be soon. Thanks.

6. gamgo

gamgo Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Well, the reason is that many developer seems not to know that they have to pay taxes on their own in special regions (according to the contract with Apple) - or they have a tax office that really knows what to do in those cases. We are negoating if we have to pay or not. In the regions the game is live - Apple is responsible for collecting taxes and pay them to the local goverment. In other regions - where the game is not yet live - we have to take care of this - as far as I know.

7. s-tan

s-tan Member

Sep 6, 2010
    is Venice Mystery on iPhone ?

8. gamgo

gamgo Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2010
    no, only on iPad - for now.

9. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
  10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Any thoughts about being able to replay levels? That is the one thing that continues to" stick in my craw". Otherwise a great game.

11. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

A very interesting question and something I brought up in the review I wrote earlier... Still hoping this will happen... ;)

12. gamgo

gamgo Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2010
    When you say "replay levels" do you mean replaying to a later time when you finished the game or with an extra option or game mode to play only certain levels?

thanks

13. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have been clearer :eek: At the moment, there appears no way to revisit levels that have already been completed. Players may want to do this to improve their score or to just enjoy one particular level arrangement. :confused:

14. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    @ataloss

Thanks for putting it so concisely. That's exactly what I'd like to be able to do - replay a certain level for a better score.

15. gamgo

gamgo Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2010
    So while you are playing - lets say Level 10, you'd like to replay after you finished Level 10 - to get a better score - correct?

What should happen to your old score from Level 10 - will it be erased?
    Otherwise you can replay and replay and get a better score at the end.

I think the concept is a bit away from the "normal" puzzle games - where you only play puzzles to get a great score. Problem is that the storyline or the other minigames are tight to the puzzle levels.

I think it will make sense to add a mode where you only play the puzzle pieces one after another - without the clocktower and paintings.

16. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Yeah, but it also seems that opening hidden areas are tied to the score as well are they not? And if they are, a player will be unable to visit those areas without starting from the beginning. Also, sometimes there is a level design that is just fun to play.

I would like to see you implement things like Azkend. Once you play through the game, then you can select any level at that point to play again, or you can move through all the areas - (Azkend uses the same map, it just lets you move to whatever place on the map you want to revisit - and all the powerups and advantages one has accumulated by beating the game are available.) That way if you did not get a mini-game first time around, this time you can play it. Keeping the map in place and using it, also helps with remebrance - I will remember a particular level on a map, but if you just give me the puzzle, I have no idea where it came from.

For general purposes - what difference does it make if someone wants to get a higher and higher score? It is not really a global competition, it is a self competition, so there is no advantage, or disadvantage to playing a level over and over again - unless as I mentioned the ability to open secret areas - but shouldn't people be able to do that? Look at Super Mario World... there are tons of secret entrances / exits, and one has to play multiple times to find it all, and it is all part of the story as well... Whatever the reasons are to keep someone on a path, I think that those reasons don't hold water for the players... And replayability is important I think to most players, unless a game is really advertised to play through once and be done with it...

17. gamgo

gamgo Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2010
  18. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Thanks for the cheap sale the game was sleeping in my wish list, dig deep into a massive list and a game I had forget. Thanks the sale grab my attention and this thread refresh my memory.

19. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    As for wanting to replay the game, this should not be an issue. I've had this on my Mac since the game came out and I still regularly go back to it time and time again. Since the price drop, I could not resist buying it for the iPad. Yeah!

Great game, great graphics (looks even better on the iPad)! Puzzle mode sounds great, too.

Thanks for making it available to us!

20. gamgo

gamgo Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Thanks guys - enjoy the game :)