1. Torrente

Torrente Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2024
    Im in the market for a new controller, and I want to know what you use? It would be helpful to hear peoples opinions in different controllers. I play on the ipad.

Can you say something what is good, and what is bad with the controller you use so I can make a informed purchase? Appriciated.

if I understand it correct the ps4/ps5 controller and xbox controller are the two ”main” controllers on the market.
    https://www.playstation.com/sv-se/accessories/dualsense-wireless-controller/

https://www.xbox.com/sv-se/accessories/controllers/xbox-wireless-controller-usb-c

It is alot of questions for me tho, as a never had a playstation after ps1 (Dualshock), or xbox. Today I use a Steelseries Nimbus+ (and I had the predacessor too). The control is fine, but it disconnect and just feel ”cheap”. It makes annoying plastic sounds and the d-pad is annoyingly clicky.
    https://sv.steelseries.com/gaming-controllers/nimbus-plus

Here are some youtube opinions I watched recently. Do you agree on theese?

Lets start here and see where the thread goes.

What do you use - and why?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I play on an iPhone and I’m a big fan of handhelds, so it’s a Backbone for me. I like the feel of it — nice and solid — and the software gives you that console feel (though it could be better). And because it connects with through the phone port (Lightning or USB C), there’s no lag and no battery to keep charged. The most recent versions also work with most standard phone cases, which means that you can plug it and go. L

Of the Bluetooth ones, I prefer the Xbox controller because that’s what I’m used to. I don’t mind the Switch Pro Controller.

3. Torrente

Jun 6, 2024
    #3 Torrente, Jun 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
    Intresting opinions. I read - I learn.

Im on ipad tho, so i guess backbone is not an option for me.

one of the things I have given alot of thought is if the rumble work when gaming with a playstation/xbox controller?

If I understand things correct, the dualsense has a awesome haptic feedback rumble thing-a-majing? Does that work when you pair it to a iOS device too?

the Nimbus doesnt even have rumble.

Parhaps my gaming experiance would go up 400% with a haptic/tactile rumble feature feedback like that. Whats your opinion?

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I think you’ll get rumble on any of the console controllers.

5. Torrente

Jun 6, 2024
    Im not so sure…

6. Samuel Dodee

Samuel Dodee Active Member

Mar 27, 2024
    Male
  7. Torrente

Jun 6, 2024
    Great! Thats one of the candidates.

Can you elaborate? What is good with the xbox controller?

How is it in the hands, does it have rumble, battery life, compatibility, and so on and so forth… :) Would love to hear you talk about it with your own words a bit. So I can get a feeling for if its something for me.

8. Samuel Dodee

Samuel Dodee Active Member

Mar 27, 2024
    Male
    Well well, I don't have much to say... :oops:
    I like all the Xbox controllers from the original Xbox Controller S, I think they have good ergonomics.
    But it's subjective, I have friends who prefer Sony controllers... So you should try.
    It has rumble, but I guess it's limited by software and it doesn't show its full potential like on console or on PC.
    Until now I have never found games that don't work.
    Battery life is ok, you can use AA batteries, AA rechargeable batteries or a specific battery pack. I use Panasonic rechargeable batteries.

Torrente likes this.
  9. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    8BitDo SN30 Pro Hall Effect edition. I can’t say anything negative about it. It pairs easily and I get no lag even playing Deathsmiles with all the glorious bullet hell beauty it never drops a beat. Comfortable for me. If I were to do over o might get the Pro 2 which has the extended body for better handling but having said that, I am over the moon with mine. I’ve been an iOS gamer for over a decade and at one time I tried a controller that went over my phone. So much regret. I had to physically remove my phone from the case and put it in the controller each time. Yeah. Ain’t nobody got time for that. I put the controller idea on the back burner until recently I was watching a demo for Delta and the guy was using an 8BitDo. Suddenly G-Idle’s “I Want That” was playing in my head. I’ve had mine set up for a few months and I love it. My two Anbernic are collecting dust waiting to be used.

Torrente likes this.
  10. Torrente

Jun 6, 2024
    #10 Torrente, Jun 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
    I picked up a Dualsense the other day and I guess you can say its a bit of a mixed bag. The ergonomics for my big hands are fantastic. Hands down that is maybe Sonys biggest strength. Always loved their controller layouts.

However, the rumble is a real let down. Its non existent to be frank. The generic rumble is there - but it is weak, and so far I haven’t found one single game that support the adaptive triggers or take advantage of the big touch button on top of the controller. Supposedly there are games that exist, and Apple supports the function, its just that it has to be implemented in the games on the developer side. Also, oddly enough, there is a difference between iphone and ipad versions of games. For the adaptive trigger thing to be universally implemented - the devs have to support it specifically on both devices since ipad doesn’t have haptics/vibration as iphone have. So I guess in the end it comes down to how much recourses and time they are willing to sink in to each game.

in general;

It has built in battery and charges via usb-c so thats great. You can hook it directly (and charge it) from the device via cable if you want to take advantage of the headphone jack on the controller, however in doing so you loose audio output from the device itself. Which was a bit wierd at first but make sense when you think about it.

So all in all, I like this controller for its ergonomy. But forget about the fancy rumble/adaptive trigger functionality.

I might pick up a xbox controller in the future, but with their wierd button layout I dont think I will like it more then the Dualsense.

11. Torrente

Jun 6, 2024
    I found ONE game that actually support the ps5 controller. Woo hoo!

Bugsnax. Not a personal favourite, but it is pretty awesome to take pictures in game and feel the camera shutter slammin down on your triggerfinger. Or place traps and feel it CRUNCH the pray. :D

Bugsnax confirmed. It works with the ps5 controller. One game. Amazing.

if you have a ps5 - check it oooouuut